Common Injuries in Motorcycle Accidents
Wheaton and Schaumburg Attorneys for Riders Harmed in Collisions
Motorcycle wrecks can have devastating consequences for the rider who does not have the steel cage to protect his or her body that car occupants do. If you have been hurt or lost a loved one in a motorcycle accident, our seasoned Wheaton and Schaumburg motorcycle accident lawyers are here to assist you. Having helped countless motorcycle accident victims, we know what you are going through, and more importantly, we know the law. You can be sure that we will meticulously evaluate the details of your situation and provide you with an honest assessment of your claim.
Common Injuries in Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcycles are less visible to other motorists than cars or trucks. In addition, these vehicles extend little to no protection to their operators, and therefore, motorcycle accident injuries can be extremely severe and even deadly. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has found that motorcyclists are 26 times more likely to die in a traffic crash than passengers in vehicles, and 5 times more likely to be hurt. While a motorcyclist can suffer a wide range of injuries in a crash, the most common injuries in motorcycle accidents include:
- Head injuries: these may include a cracked skull, concussion, and even traumatic brain injury (TBI). According to the NHTSA, 15 percent of helmeted and 21 percent of un-helmeted riders suffer TBI in accidents.
- Internal injuries: damage to internal organs and internal bleeding can be caused by blunt force trauma (i.e., a blow from something hard that does not break the skin) or penetration trauma (i.e., when something sharp such as broken glass or debris penetrates the skin in a crash).
- Broken bones: when a motorcyclist hits the pavement or is tossed from the motorcycle, he or she may suffer broken arms, legs, hips, or wrists. Broken arms and legs are very common types of injury in this category.
- Road rash: this happens when a rider slides across the ground after being tossed form their motorcycle. Depending on the rider’s clothing and gear, the rider may suffer from bruising, cuts, scrapes, severe gashes, muscle damage and/or nerve damage. Road rash injuries are susceptible to serious infections and permanent scarring.
- Neck injuries: neck injuries can range in severity. Some injuries can be temporary, such as whiplash, while other injuries can be long-term such as spinal cord injuries leading to paralysis. In the most severe cases, neck injuries can lead to death.
Filing a Lawsuit after a Motorcycle Accident
Under Illinois law, every motorist should exercise care and caution while driving. You can do your part to be safe by obeying traffic laws, wearing a helmet, and being a defensive driver. However, you cannot control the actions of other motorists on the road. Another driver’s negligence can change your life in an instant, and a skilled motorcycle accident attorney can help you hold them legally responsible.
Negligence takes place when a person acts in a careless manner behind the wheel causing an accident and injury. In order to win a negligence claim, the injured motorist is required to establish the following elements: i) the defendant owed the plaintiff a duty of care; ii) the defendant violated the duty of care owed to the plaintiff; and iii) the defendant’s violation led to the motorcycle accident and resulting bodily injury. For example, if a car driver switches lanes without looking and ends up striking a motorcyclist in that lane, causing the rider to suffer serious injury, that car driver would likely be liable for the accident. This is because a motorist using the appropriate level of care and caution would not switch lanes before making sure it was safe to do so, understanding the foreseeable risk of accident associated with such behavior.
Skilled Motorcycle Accident Lawyers Serving Schaumburg and Wheaton
No two motorcycle accidents are the same, and it can be difficult determining your options after such a wreck. If you or someone you love has suffered any of the common injuries described above in a motorcycle accident, or has suffered other harm, you may be eligible to recover compensation. At Therman Law Offices, our injury attorneys are committed to protecting the rights of our Illinois clients at each and every stage of the legal process. We are here to answer your questions and talk you through your legal options. We represent clients from Westmont, Clarendon Hills, Downers Grove, Lisle, Oakbrook Terrace, Darien, and Bolingbrook. For a free consultation regarding your case, please feel free to call us at 312-588-1900 or contact us online.