Personal Injury Lawyer Lake County, IL
If you have suffered injuries in an accident caused by someone else’s carelessness, you may want to contact a Lake County, IL personal injury lawyer. You may be entitled to compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages and other losses. An attorney from Therman Laws Offices, LTD can help you pursue a timely claim against the negligent parties.
Common Mistakes That Could Hurt Your Personal Injury Case
If your injuries resulted from another party’s negligence, you deserve to be properly compensated. However, in order to receive fair compensation, you must build a strong personal injury case. Here are some common mistakes that could hurt your case.
- Not reporting the accident to the proper authorities. The first thing you need to do after an accident is report it to the proper authorities. For instance, if you were in a car accident, you would call the police. If you got hurt in a slip and fall accident in a grocery store, you would inform the grocery store owner/manager. They will file a report about the accident, which is important to have for your case.
- Delaying medical care. After an accident, you might not feel that bad. However, that does not mean that you are not hurt. Sometimes injuries can take longer to show symptoms. That is why it is critical to seek emergency medical care immediately. A doctor should evaluate your injuries and recommend the proper treatment. As a Lake County personal injury attorney can confirm, delaying medical care could put your health and injury case in jeopardy.
- Waiting too long to file a claim. If you want to pursue a claim for your injuries, know that there is a deadline. In Illinois, the statute of limitations to file a personal injury claim is two years. Once that deadline has passed, you are no longer eligible for compensation.
- Trusting the insurance company. There is a good chance that the at-fault party’s insurance company will contact you after your accident. They may seem like they want to help and even offer you a settlement. However, you should never trust the insurance company. They only care about their bottom line and may try to pay you as little as they can get away with. Don’t provide details about your case and don’t accept a settlement offer without your attorney’s approval.
- Not being careful on social media. Many people tend to share details about their lives on their social media accounts. If you are currently in the middle of a personal injury claim, you should avoid doing this. If you post a picture, for example, that makes it seem like you aren’t truly injured, it could harm your case.
- Failing to hire an attorney. Although you aren’t required to hire an attorney for your personal injury claim, it is in your best interest to do so. A skilled attorney knows the true value of your case and will handle negotiations with the insurance company.
Schedule a consultation with a Lake County personal injury attorney from Therman Laws Offices, LTD today.
Actions To Take After A Personal Injury Accident
Surviving a personal injury accident can be a traumatizing experience, as a trusted Lake County, IL personal injury lawyer knows. When you are still in the middle of processing what happened, filing a claim may be the last thing on your mind. However, knowing what to do beforehand can help you understand how to improve your chances of obtaining the outcome that you deserve and want. You should remember to take the following steps if you are ever in a personal injury accident so that you have what you need to file a claim when you contact Therman Law Offices, LTD for help.
Report the accident right away
Anyone who has been in a personal injury accident should report that accident as soon as possible. No matter what kind of accident that you have been in, whether it was a pedestrian accident, slip and fall, car crash, or dog attack, you must report the event right away. If you believe that you have more severe injuries, see if someone else can call 911 and inform them of what happened. Do not leave the scene and wait for first responders to arrive so that they can provide you with further assistance.
Get a medical evaluation
If you were in a personal injury accident, you should be treated by a doctor, paramedic or other medical professional as soon as possible. You may have injuries that you are not aware of, so having an evaluation is essential. Do not refuse any medical attention because you should have medical records as part of your evidence. If you do, you can be questioned if you decide to file a claim because investigators will wonder why you did not seek medical attention sooner.
Collect as many pieces of evidence as you can if you are at the scene. Take many photos of the accident scene, any destroyed property, the debris on the ground, and your injuries. Organize all of your documents as well that may be relevant to your ase, such as medical records and bills. It’s also helpful to include invoices and pay stubs if you have been forced to miss work as a result of the accident.
Prepare your legal documents
You will need to fill out some forms and organize legal documents for your personal injury claim. If you need personalized assistance idling out your paperwork, you can reach out to a skilled Lake County personal injury lawyer who can review your paperwork to ensure that everything is filled out correctly.
Meet with a lawyer
Contact a qualified and experienced lawyer who has assisted clients with their personal injury case as soon as possible. The sooner that you meet with a lawyer to discuss your case and legal options, the more they will be able to help you. If you have any questions at all about your case, they will be able to answer them in detail. For more information about legal services that are cost-effective and accessible, contact a qualified Lake County personal injury lawyer from Therman Law Offices, LTD near you right away.