Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Lake County, IL
If you have sustained injuries in a motorcycle crash, you may want to speak with a Lake County, IL motorcycle accident lawyer as soon as possible. You may be entitled to compensation for your losses. An attorney can help you file a timely claim and protect your rights.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
Riding on a motorcycle on a warm and sunny day can be an enjoyable experience. However, motorcyclists have to deal with many hazards on the road and may get into an accident. Here are some of the most common causes of motorcycle accidents.
- Lane splitting. Lane splitting involves riding a motorcycle between lanes of slow-moving or stopped traffic. Some motorcyclists may practice lane splitting to get to where they are going faster. However, this practice is very dangerous. Because motorists are not expecting motorcyclists to pass them in slowed or stopped traffic, they may not notice them and hit them.
- Road hazards. Motorcycles are much smaller and less stable than vehicles. Therefore, every road hazard, like potholes and gravel, can be dangerous to them. Motorcyclists must pay extra attention to hazards on the road and try to avoid them.
- Corner turning accidents. These accidents can happen when a motorcyclist enters a corner too quickly. The motorcyclist can lose control and get thrown off the bike. Motorcyclists can reduce the risk of these accidents by driving motorcycles at a safe speed.
- Car turning left. As a Lake County motorcycle accident attorney can confirm, this is one of the most common causes of motorcycle accidents. Drivers may not see motorcyclists as they are turning left in front of them.
- Distracted driving. When motorists are distracted by something else, they are more likely to get into an accident, including ones with motorcyclists. Common distractions for drivers include texting, eating, drinking, grooming and changing the radio station. Drivers should put their entire attention on the road ahead so that they can avoid accidents.
- Car doors opening into traffic. Drivers who park their cars along the roadside should always look for oncoming traffic before opening a door. If they do not do this, their door can hit a passing motorcyclist and cause serious injuries.
- Inexperience. Operating a motorcycle is much different than operating a vehicle. Therefore, motorcyclists need to have proper training before getting on a motorcycle. They should invest in a motorcycle safety course. During the course, they will learn how to operate their motorcycle safely so that they reduce the chances of getting into an accident.
- Sudden stops. Most motorists have had to make sudden stops on the road. Sometimes these can result in rear-end collisions. Unfortunately, making sudden stops can be more deadly for motorcyclists. They do not have seatbelts, so they can get thrown off their bike and suffer life-threatening injuries.
If you want to pursue a motorcycle injury claim, you should schedule a consultation with a Lake County motorcycle accident attorney from Therman Law Offices, LTD to discuss your case in detail.