#AskThermanLaw: Your Personal Injury Questions, Answered!


We get a lot of interesting questions during our monthly #AskThermanLaw chat on Facebook and Twitter. On the third Thursday of every month, from 1-2pm, we invite our followers to ask whatever questions they have about personal injury law, worker’s compensation, medical malpractice, and more.

Here are some recent questions that have been asked, with Charlie Therman’s personalized response:

Q: I was shopping at a boutique not far from where I live. The ground was uneven and I slipped. Now I’m having pains that won’t go away. What should I do?

A: You should have filed an incident report at the time of the accident. If you’re in pain, you should seek medical treatment. Whether or not you have a claim depends on a lot of factors. Was it public or private property? What was the nature and extent of the uneven ground? How noticeable was it? What were you doing at the time? Contact me with any additional questions you may have!

Learn more about premises accidents.

Q: My girlfriend was injured doing gymnastics when she was younger, over 10 years ago. Now she has constant neck pain. Should she have sued, and how late is too late?

A: Typically when you’re doing any sort of sport, there is an assumption of risk that you may be injured. It’s not something you typically could sue for. For example, if the coach was doing something wrong with the equipment (something faulty), that would be more question. There’s a statue of limitations, which would have been 2 years. If she was a minor, it would extend two years from her birthday.

Q: I was recently in a car accident but didn’t get a police report at the time. What should i do?

A: Hopefully you have the other driver’s license plate, name, contact information and insurance information. If so, you should file a claim with the other driver’s insurance and notify your own insurance company of the accident so they’re aware. You can still go to the police station and file a police report. Contact us with any additional questions and we’d be happy to help!

Learn more about personal injury.

Q: I recently had a doctor wrongly prescribe a medication that caused lasting ailments and needed ongoing treatment. How can I prove the doctor was at fault?

This is a complicated question. In this instance, the real question is whether the doctor deviated from what would be the standard of care for the original objective symptoms and subjective complaints that you presented with or the ongoing complaints and symptoms after the medication was prescribed. Only a medical expert can answer that question. The next question is whether or not the treatment you had to undergo as well as the permanency of any ailments caused by this medicine arise to a level that would justify filing a lawsuit over. Many if not most lawyers will not file a medical malpractice claim in Illinois unless the claim is worth at least $500,000.00 because of the extremely high expenses involved in bringing such a claim as well as the risks of loss. These are just a few of the main considerations when discussing a case such as this. If you would like to discuss your potential claim further, please do not hesitate to contact me at 773-545-8849.

Learn more about medical malpractice.

If you have a question that just can’t wait, our phone line is open 24/7 Just call us at 312.588.1900.

Scroll to Top