Workers Injury Lawyers Gurnee, IL

Workers Injury Lawyer Gurnee, ILAlthough there are some occupations that are obviously more dangerous than others, the reality is that a worker can get injured on the job no matter what industry they work in. In our state, it is the  Illinois Workers’ Compensation Commission (IWCC) that oversees all the rules and regulations regarding work injury claims and benefits. The following is a brief overview of what you should do if you have been injured at work. For more details about your own specific case, make sure to call a workers injury lawyer Gurnee, IL clients trust from Therman Law Offices.

See a Doctor

The first step an injured worker should take is to seek medical attention. Keep in mind, however, that where you seek that medical attention could be a factor in your workers’ compensation claim. If your employer has a Preferred Provider Program (PPP), which a lot of large companies do, then it may be helpful to your case to choose a doctor that is part of that program. If you opt to be seen by a doctor of your choice that is not in your employer’s PPP, then you will need to have any future visits for treatment of your work injury with that doctor approved.


It is also important to let your doctor know the injury happened at work. Make sure the doctor adds these details to your medical record. This will help avoid any issues with your claim and ensure the medical bills will be sent to your employer and not to you.  

Report the Injury

It is also crucial that you report your injury as soon as possible to your supervisor or employer. A workers injury lawyer in Gurnee, IL knows that if your company has a protocol on how work injury reporting should be handled, then make sure you follow that protocol. Failure to do so could cause issues with your benefit claim.


While you can report your injury orally, every attempt should also be made to make the notification in writing, preferably via email, so you have an electronic “paper” trail to prove you made the notification. In order to receive benefits, Illinois requires the injury to be reported within 45 days of the incident.

Report Submitted

Your employer is required to submit an accident report to the IWCC. This report will contain all the details of your accident. It is important to obtain a copy of the report from your employer for your records and to ensure that they actually submitted the report.

Your Records

In order to ensure there are no issues with your claim, as well as make sure all of your expenses from your injury are covered, make sure to keep track of all documentation. Keep all reports from your medical visits, receipts for any out-of-pocket medical supplies and medication, and mileage and travel expenses for doctors’ visits, physical therapy, etc.


Illinois Workers Injury Law Firm


Work injuries are almost always covered under your employer’s workers’ compensation insurance, which they are required to have by Illinois law. If your employer does not want to pay out your compensation benefits, or you have difficulty obtaining those benefits, you should immediately contact a Gurnee, IL workers injury lawyer. Call Therman Law Offices, LTD today to schedule a free consultation and find out how we can help.


Scroll to Top