Truck accidents often involve multiple parties and cause catastrophic injuries. If you or a loved one have suffered personal injury during a truck accident contact Therman Law Offices, LTD. You can schedule a free consultation with a truck accident lawyer Arlington Heights, IL trusts, during which we can discuss the facts of your case.
The Most Important Things to Do After A Truck Accident
The most important thing to do after suffering injuries during a truck accident is seek medical treatment. Next, you should contact a truck accident lawyer so you can begin keeping records of your medical treatment from every medical provider you see. A truck accident lawyer can request medical records, conduct depositions, and negotiate with insurance companies. Preserving the evidence you need to prove your case is critical. By retaining a truck accident lawyer you will be more likely to receive the financial compensation you deserve.
The Primary Causes of Truck Accidents
Truck accidents are caused by many different factors. Many truck drivers commit negligent acts that cause truck accidents. The following are some of the most common causes of truck accidents:
- Overloaded trucks
- Loose cargo
- Poor weather conditions
- Failure to inspect tires
- Failure to inspect brakes
- Intoxicated driving
- Distracted driving
- Aggressive Driving
How Do I Determine the Compensation I Can Receive After A Truck Accident?
Truck accidents typically cause serious bodily injury or death. The financial losses victims often experience after a truck accident include the following:
- Burial expenses and funeral costs
- Medical bills
- Physical therapy costs
- Rehabilitation costs
- Lost future earnings
- Lost wages
- Loss of earning capacity
Damages are typically divided into two main categories: economic damages and non-economic damages. Economic damages are quantifiable elements such as medical bills, surgeries, and lost wages. Non-economic damages are elements that are non quantifiable such as emotional trauma and psychological suffering.
In some cases punitive damages can be awarded. Punitive damages are intended to punish the defendant for particularly egregious conduct. Also, punitive damages are intended to deter the defendant from committing the same behavior in the future.
Which Parties May Be Liable in Truck Accidents?
Many different parties may be liable during truck accidents. Typically the truck driver, the trucking company, any third-party brokers, and the truck manufacturers may be held liable for a truck accident. Every truck accident case is different, and the specific facts and circumstances will determine which parties may be held liable. Large truck companies often have skilled defense lawyers who try to pay as little as possible to injured victims. Retaining a truck accident lawyer in Arlington Heights, IL can help you obtain the financial compensation you deserve.
Contact Therman Law Offices, LTD Today to Schedule A Free Consultation
Contact Therman Law Offices, LTD today to schedule a free consultation during which we can discuss the facts of your case. Call (847) 744-8400. Retaining a truck accident lawyer in Arlington Heights, IL is the best thing you can do to ensure you receive the monetary compensation you deserve. If you or a loved one suffered personal injury during a truck accident call Therman Law Office, LTD today.
Common Truck Accident Injuries
An Arlington Heights, IL truck accident lawyer can confirm the truck accidents often cause serious injuries. Commercial trucks are very large and heavy, so they can cause more damage than a passenger vehicle. Here are the most common car accident injuries.
- Burns. During an accident, a truck’s fuel tank can rupture and cause a fire to spread fast. As a result, drivers and passengers of nearby vehicle cans suffer severe burns. Besides being extremely painful, burns can cause infection, loss of mobility, scarring and permanent disfigurement.
- Amputation. A truck accident can also result in amputation if one of your limbs gets crushed. In this scenario, a surgeon may have to amputate it to save your life. Amputation can drastically change your life and you may need prosthetics and other adaptive devices.
- Traumatic brain injuries. These are one of the most severe injuries in a truck accident and can be life-threatening. You actually do not need to hit your head against anything during a collision to sustain a traumatic brain injury. The sheer force of the collision may be enough to cause a brain injury. Common symptoms of this injury include nausea, headache, dizziness, blurry vision and ringing ears. However, in some cases, you may not experience any symptoms initially. It’s still essential to get immediate medical attention. Traumatic brain injuries can lead to long-term cognitive, physical and behavioral problems.
- Lacerations. As an Arlington Heights truck accident lawyer can attest, some truck accident victims may suffer lacerations from broken glass, flying debris and other objects. While these injuries don’t seem as bad as other truck accident injuries, they are nothing to make light about. Lacerations can lead to infection, bleeding, permanent scarring and other complications.
- Spinal cord injuries. The strong impact of a truck accident may cause spinal cord injuries. The spinal cord is located within the vertebrae and can suffer weakness, numbness and even paralysis in an accident. Some accidents victims who sustain spinal cord injuries may never be able to work again or do certain activities without assistance.
- Broken bones. A truck accident can also lead to broken bones in some people. Broken bones, whether they occur in the arms, legs or hips, can lead to excruciating pain and reduced mobility. If a bone is broken in more than one place, surgery may be necessary.
- Internal injuries. The crushing impact of a truck accident may also result in internal injuries. Accident victims may hurt their bladder, spleen, kidneys or pancreas. Internal injuries can be very serious, so prompt medical attention is critical.
- Emotional injuries. Many people assume that truck accident injuries are just physical. However, theyas an Arlington Heights truck accident lawyer can explain, they can also cause a lot of emotional damage. Truck accident victims may suffer anxiety, depression or even post-traumatic stress disorder, which can negatively impact their lives. Mental health counseling may be helpful for these individuals.