Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Arlington Heights, IL
If you have been hurt in a motorcycle accident, you may want to get in touch with an Arlington Heights, IL motorcycle accident lawyer. You may be entitled to compensation. An attorney can help you pursue a timely injury claim.
Liable Parties in Motorcycle Accidents
Riding a motorcycle can be thrilling, but it can also be dangerous. Motorcyclists have to share the road with much larger vehicles and have a higher risk of serious injuries in accidents. If you have sustained injuries in a motorcycle accident, one of the most important things you have to do is determine all liable parties.
Here are common liable parties in motorcycle accidents.
- Drivers. Many motorcycle accidents result from another driver’s negligence. Drivers have a duty to keep others on the road safe, including motorcyclists. If they fail to do that and cause an accident, they may be held liable. Common negligent driving behaviors include speeding, tailgating, running red lights, drunk driving and distracted driving.
- Parts manufacturers. Motorcycle accidents can also occur due to defective motorcycle and auto parts. For instance, if a vehicle has faulty brakes, it may not be able to stop and crash into a motorcycle. In this situation, the parts manufacturer may be held responsible.
- Local or state governments. Another cause of motorcycle accidents are dangerous road conditions. For example, a road may have many potholes and a motorcyclist has an accident because of it. In this case, the government organization that was supposed to maintain the road may be held liable.
Common Damages in a Motorcycle Accident
As an Arlington Heights motorcycle accident can confirm, motorcycle accidents can result in many types of damages. Here are the most common damages in these crashes.
- Medical expenses. Since motorcyclists lack the protection of a vehicle, they are more likely to sustain severe injuries in an accident. Common motorcycle accident injuries include road rash, traumatic brain injuries, broken bones and spinal cord injuries. That is why it is critical to seek immediate emergency medical care. The sooner a doctor evaluates and treats your injuries, the better chance you have at a full recovery. These medical bills can easily cost thousands of dollars, so you may be compensated for them by filing an injury claim.
- Lost wages. Motorcyclists who suffer serious injuries in an accident might not be able to return to work for a while. They may also sustain permanent disabilities that prevent them from working at all. They can pursue compensation for lost wages.
- Pain and suffering. After a motorcycle accident, motorcyclists may also deal with severe physical pain and emotional distress. They may have trouble falling asleep at night or develop post-traumatic stress disorder. Victims may be compensated for their pain and suffering.
- Property damage. An accident can also cause considerable damage to someone’s motorcycle and other property. They may be able to recover compensation for property damage.
Schedule a consultation with an Arlington Heights motorcycle accident attorney from Therman Law Offices, LTD today.