When a car crash takes place, we expect the seat belts and airbags to protect us. Sadly, this does not always happen. Airbag malfunctions can lead to bodily injury and, in the most serious cases, death. If you were injured due to an airbag malfunction, you may need the help of a trusted Wheaton and Schaumburg car accident lawyer. We are committed to helping victims of dangerous airbag malfunctions pursue the compensation they need to deal with the injury and move forward with their life. These cases can be extremely complicated, which why it is advisable to consult an attorney who knows how to investigate the matter.Airbag Defects
Airbags are designed to provide protection to drivers and passengers in case of a collision. Specifically, the airbag helps to limit the impact of the crash by protecting occupants from hitting the hard surfaces of the car. Airbags undoubtedly save lives, but they also cause serious injuries. Even when an airbag deploys exactly when it is supposed to, the sheer force with which it deploys can be a safety risk to occupants. When deployed under the wrong circumstances, however, the consequences can be much worse. There are many ways in which airbags may malfunction, including:
- Unexpected deployment due to a circuit issue;
- Airbag debris that strikes and injures passengers upon deployment;
- Cuts or tears in the airbag that prevent the airbag from deploying properly;
- Deploying with too much force, causing unnecessary injury to passengers;
- Airbags being the wrong size and ultimately being ineffective to protect occupants.
Airbag manufacturers, like every other manufacturer, have a responsibility to put safe products into the stream of commerce. If you were injured by an airbag either in a crash or non-crash incident, you may be entitled to compensation for your harm through a products liability claim. Products liability in an area of law that holds manufacturers, distributers, suppliers, and retailers accountable for putting faulty or hazardous products into the hands of a consumer. In general, there are three main types of defects that an airbag malfunction may be categorized under:
- Manufacturing defects: these are defects that occur when the airbag departs from the design plan and is improperly manufactured. For example, this may include poor workmanship or a flaw that is unique to a single airbag as opposed to the entire batch.
- Design defects: these are defects or flaws in the way that the airbag is designed, making it inherently dangerous to users. In other words, any airbag that is created using the faulty design will be a safety risk. Design defects, unlike manufacturing defects, affect the entire batch or product line.
- Failure to warn: this is a marketing defect that can take place when the manufacturer fails to properly warn consumers of risks associated with the intended use of a product.
Determining what happened and which theory of liability is appropriate in your case is a complicated task but, with years of experience, our attorneys understand how to thoroughly investigate airbag malfunction cases. It is important to note that the intention of the manufacturer is irrelevant in product liability cases. The mere fact that the manufacturer put a faulty or dangerous product into the market is enough to form a basis for liability.Contact a Wheaton and Schaumburg Lawyer Following an Airbag Injury
No matter what the circumstances, serious injury and death caused by a faulty airbag is one hundred percent preventable. If you suffered an injury or lost a loved one due to an airbag malfunction, you may be eligible to recover compensation for your harm. At Therman Law Offices, our skilled Wheaton and Schaumburg attorneys understand how to pursue damages from manufactures and retailers who have put faulty products out to consumers. We take on clients from Norwood Park, Harwood Heights, Norridge, Edison Park, Elmwood Park, Des Plaines, Rosemont, Park Ridge, Elk Grove Village, and Mt. Prospect. For more information regarding your case, please call us at 312-588-1900 or contact us online.